Skip to main content

THEY ASKED WHY MY POEMS ALWAYS SCENT OF MY LATE BROTHER —Adamu Yahuza Abdullahi



THEY ASKED WHY MY POEMS ALWAYS SCENT OF MY  LATE BROTHER

Adamu Yahuza Abdullahi

 

I don't know of other poets, but I 

find it difficult to nurse grief & not 

feed it food. I write every poem as

if to say, a means for the loamy Earth

to open up & soak away the shackles

hung on my neck. You start a poem and

see your being shrouded in your shadow. 

They asked why my poems scent of my

brother, I do not know how more to

write poems here, in this space, where

even the sun is been eaten up by abyss.

You borrowed yourself some strength

to your waned hands to write a poem,

somewhere at the centroid you saw

your belly eating itself up. I have carried

enough light, enough laughter that are 

not mine. There is a country piling into

darkness &  then there is me— a boy with

eyes filled up with enough images to

form a photoframe; images he only

see in dreams. I pour my eyes into

a cup of coffee every morning, a new

way to conform with grief. I breathe

light to see right. You shouldn't hear

this from me; I still see the full image

of my late brother whenever I ask the

mirror how I look.


Bio:

Adamu Yahuza Abdullahi is a budding poet from Kwara state, Nigeria. He is currently running his degree program at Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto, Nigeria. He works as a campus journalist at PEN PRESS, UDUS. He is a year three student of botany. He is obsessed with writers and what they write. When he underthinks, he reads; and when he overthinks, he writes. He is so much passionate about his ancestral hometown, Kemanji, where he writes. He bagged NAKS ( a student Union body) award of the best poet of the year, 2021. His works have appeared or are forthcoming in the Kalahari review, synchronized chaos, Arts Lounge and Borgu book club. He can be reached at adamuyahutha@gmail.com. and he tweets at AdamuYahuzaabd2. 




Comments

  1. Beautiful 👏. To every poetic piece, there is often an uncredited motivation, a writer's impetus.
    Sad you lost your brother. May his soul find peace 🕊️ in the hereafter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. adamuyahutha@gmail.com02:09

      Thank you, sir. I appreciate the kind words. I'm grateful for the prayer 🙌

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Submit To Us

A Repository For Literary Works Teen Lit Journal is an online journal that publishes poetry, fiction, book reviews and photography. Here are a few things to keep in mind: We accept poetry, fiction, photography, essays, and book reviews. We do not accept submissions that have been published elsewhere. Simultaneous submissions are fine. All we ask is that you notify us when your work is accepted elsewhere. Include a short bio and photograph of yourself. Feel free to make the photograph as informal or as formal as you please. We reject submissions we deem to be misogynist or homophobic, or supremacist on the basis of race, ethnicity or religion. You retain the copyright to your work. However, we do require that you credit  Teen Lit Journal  as the original publisher of the work. Submission format: Entries should be sent as .doc or .docx files. Entries must be sent single-spaced in 12 point, Times New Roman font. Files should be saved with the title of the work(s) Kindly submit for just a

SWALLOWTAIL AT THE NIGHT GARDEN —Abdulrazak Salihu

SWALLOWTAIL AT THE NIGHT GARDEN By Abdulrazak Salihu I believe I carried the Snapdragon out of the woods And named it a wild flower. There’s a drip in the wind Into your eyes For girls your age I poured a rock into being  And it clouded my head. There are crystals in sand And flower-perfume  By your chin, And freckles of dust Like saltwater could swallow worms. In my last rite I’m still barricading my eyes Even as light falls as petals  Of warmth from a blue moon. Abdulrazaq Salihu is a 17 year old Nigerian poet and writer.He is a member of the hilltop creative arts foundation and was the winner of the December edition of the splendors of Dawn poetry foundation poetry and short story contest . He is part of the panel for the Nigeria Review(TNR) .He was shortlisted for both categories of the Nigerian prize for teen authors (poetry and prose)where his poetry manuscript Constellations won the poetry category and his collection of short stories Hiccups was the first runner up in the prose